Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 14:53:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading libraries

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently running FreeBSD-2.1, and would like to use a number of the
> newer packages in the 2.1.5 and current hierarchies.  However, they require
> things like libXaw 6.1 and libXext 6.1, where 2.1 is distributed with 6.0.
>
> 1) Is it possible ot just get these libraries without upgrading the OS to
> 2.1.5?  The upgrade section in the README for 2.1.5 didn't make a full
> upgrade sound like it was very much fun..
>
> 2) Is there somewhere where other libararies from the new OS can be found,
> and will they work as well? (e.g. libc 3.0, etc.)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> sage
>
>     __
> |  /\_\  sage weil                                sage@mind.net |
> |  \/_/  webring manager                 http://www.webring.org |
> | finger for PGP key                   http://www.mind.net/sage |

These are X libs.  You need to get an XFree86 version that uses X11 6.1.
You can try to just ln the old libs to the new names and see what happens.
Or you can get the latest beta, which is 3.1.2G.  Try www.xfree86.org for
more information.  And yes, you can use them on 2.1R, I am.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088