Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 1997 09:18:22 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Michael Slater <slaterm@excel.tnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: PS2 Mouse on FreeBSD 2.1.5

>Hello,
>      I am having trouble getting FreeBSD 2.1.5 to recognise my PS/2 mouse.
>I'm using a normal Austek Pentium mb, with a built in PS/2 connector. I
>noticed that in the kernel, it defaults to IRQ 12, port 0x60 but when
>ever i boot up the machine, it gives me the message "psm0 not found on 0x60"
>It seems to work fine in Windoze 95 however. So perhaps im using the
>wrong port ? Any suggestions would be appriciated!
>
>thanks,
>
>Michael Slater
>slaterm@tnet.com.au
>http://www.tnet.com.au/~slaterm

Yes, you are using the correct port and interrupt.

But, the trouble is that the PS/2 mouse driver has had so many
problems under 2.1.X.  I would suggest that you add the following line
to your kernel configuration file, rebuild the kernel and see if it
works.

options PSM_NO_RESET

There isn't much else you can try, apart from hacking the driver
source yourself.

The PS/2 mouse driver under 2.2 will be much better. If you can wait
for it, upgrading your system to 2.2 will be the best way to go.

If the above option doesn't work for you, and you still want 2.1.5 to
recognize your mouse, contact me. I will send you patch which "forces"
the psm driver to recognize the mouse (even if it isn't there).

Kazu