Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 14:35:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        matt@lkg.dec.com (Matt Thomas)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM answer requested

> > What about the aligned access bit in recent Intel processors?
> >
> > I'd like to be able to turn on the bit so that I get a fault (and it
> > kills the offending process) when an unaligned access occurs.
> >
> > I'd also like to get kernel faults if this happens in the kernel
> > (it is my opinion that it should never be allowed to happen in the
> > kernel, and there should be a sanitization pass to insure it).
>
> Don't use the de driver then.  Because of a misfeature in the 21x4x
> chips, the Ethernet payload (the stuff after the header) is not longword
> aligned).  Having the processor deal with unaligned data is much faster
> than copying the data so that it is aligned.

A "relaxed but observant" mode would handle this in the fault handler
by falling back to unaligned access -- after the fault.

I expect the kernel would run "relaxed but observant" and the user mode
code would be "anal for debugging, relaxed-but-observant for normal usage".

How will this driver work with an Alpha or MIPs processor, BTW?  It's
a DEC card, you'd expect it to work with both...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.