Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:50:15 -0600
From:      "Brad Morgan" <B-Morgan@concentric.net>
To:        "Chris BeHanna" <behanna@zbzoom.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 4.4-rc instability

> > Unfortunately, FreeBSD does not support ECC RAM (or did
> > that change recently?).

>     That's news to me.  I've been successfully running a stick of
> Crucial PC2100 ECC for months now.

I believe one has to define "support"...

When all the bits are good, nothing is needed to "support" ECC memory.  Just
plug it in and it works.  You did, however, spend more money on it.

When all the errors are ECC correctable, minimum "support" probably means
that entries are being made in a log somewhere.  More pro-active "support"
might include mapping of the corrected areas to remove them from service
before the correctable errors become uncorrectable.  Now you've gotten
something for the extra expense.

When all the errors are uncorrectable, this memory stick is just as
worthless as non-parity or parity memory, but more expensive to replace.

I believe FreeBSD does not "support" the reporting, logging, etc. of ECC
correctable errors.

Regards,

Brad