Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 11:50:37 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Sean Chittenden <seanc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: expat2 in /src

In message <20020915093729.GJ85674@perrin.int.nxad.com>, Sean Chittenden writes
:
>> I need to import expat2 into /src to get some basic XML reading
>> capability, and expat2 being both small and good fits this slot.
>
>Any reason you wouldn't use libxml2's SAX interface?  It's also got a
>slick DOM interface that I highly recommend, as well as it being the
>most feature complete XML opensource implementation (has a XSL engine
>that works with libxml2 and an XMLsec library) that I'm aware of (and
>MIT licensed too).

I initially played with libxml2, but it is HUGE and I think most
of its features are significantly suplus to current requirements.

I'm not against libxml2, I just can't justify it: All I need is the
ability to read an XML file into a tree, from where C code can do
what it wants to do.

>PS I am skeptical of a need for any kind of XML parser in the base
>tree though, [...]

GEOM being an extensible framework, exports configuration information
from the kernel in XML format.  Using XML means that there is no
magic .h filled with #defines and arcane structs to represent
information for all the possible methods it may grow over the years,
and it means that standard text tools, xml or not, can be used on
the configuration data, instead of only one special C-code program.

I realize that XML from the kernel is a rather staggering idea, but
FreeBSD is also about progress... :-)