Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 12:49:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some SCSI(?) problems whilst running SMP

> Ok, the problem is this:
>
> When we enable SMP support, within any time from an hour to 6 days, we will
> die with SCSI errors - of late "SCB timeout handled by another timeout" I
> think is the proferred explanation.  The "death" seems to occur quickly after
> extensive access to the disks, but it also just dies arbitrarily, usually
> after the machine has been up for a few days.  It doesn't seem to be specific
> to any drive failing either. (we've swapped drives around, etc)

Crap.  I was hoping this problem had been resolved since the people who
usually complain about it (Hi Mark M.!) have been silent in recent months.
My guess is that the callout free list has become corrupted somehow, but
I don't know enough about our SMP implementation to know where to start
looking for re-entrancy problems.  All reports I've seen of this problem
have been only under SMP and I don't have any SMP equipment here in order
to try and reproduce the problem with.  Can you turn the printf in
sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.c:ahc_timeout() into a panic, drop into GDB, and
examine the data structures in kern_timeout.c?

--
Justin