Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:07:02 -0500
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports distfiles from ftp-master.cz.

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 07:54:44PM +0100, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Rudolf Cejka wrote:
>
> > Lukas Ertl wrote (2004/01/10):
> > > are you aware of any problems regarding ftp-master.cz.freebsd.org?  The
> > > last time I got ports distfiles from you was around Dec 11.
> >
> > Hello, I do not see any problem. Looking on ftp-master.freebsd.org,
> > they have last update of ports/distfiles from Dec 11 too, so it is
> > possible that something wrong is directly on ftp-master, if it is not
> > intended. Maybe it would be good idea to ask in hubs@, why last update
> > of ports/distfiles is from Dec 11.
>
> I already cc'ed the original message to -hubs, I hope someone can shed
> some light.

One of "our" long-standing complaints has been having too much stuff
changing all at once right at release time.  The portmgr@ folks have
been very accomodating lately - they have done a good job of getting
the package sets for the releases ready and posted to ftp-master well
before release date so that the package sets don't compete with the
release bits for bandwidth.

They have also been slowing down their "other" (non-release-related)
activities close to release time.  The original release date for 5.2
was to be mid-December so portmgr@ slowed things down for us then.
But the release date slipped, the Holiday season arrived, etc.  I'm
not sure how much of this is "avoid release time" versus "Holiday
season" but that's the reason the ports related things haven't been
flowing lately.

We're still working on communications with portmgr@, re@, etc. to
not get in portmgr@'s way too much during the release cycles but
that still needs some work.