Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 21:32:14 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Jamie Jones" <jamie@bishopston.net>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Emulation: eg WordPerfect (was Re: No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows))))

> > So why worry about running linux binaries under FreeBSD, something
> > which works an order of magnitude better than wine?  If one can get
> > companies to support that officially, that certainly looks like a big
> > gain to me.  Aiming to remove linux compatibility is not only
> > unrealistic but extremely undesirable.

> If the product is officially supported, then that is a big plus. If a
> product *is* supported under emulation completely, wouldn't it be easier
> for the company to release a FreeBSD version too, so that they don't end
> up supporting the emulator in the process ? :-)

	I tend to agree. I would imagine that officially supporting a version that
runs under emulation would tend to be used as a stopgap measure. It's just
too unprofessional and likely to be difficult to maintain.

> Anyway, although you aren't actually impying this, I'd just like to point
> out that I'm *not* in favour of removing the Linux emulation - my point is
> that I'd be more likely to part cash for a native version than the Linux
> version.

	Fair enough. A person trying to sell me a version to run under emulation
would have to convince me of the stability and reliability of more pieces.

	The last time I ported a major project that compiled under Linux to
FreeBSD, the vast majority of the work was dealing with missing functions
like 'nanosleep' and 'poll'. Now that those functions exist, it's hard for
me to imagine what difficulties could be encountered porting a program that
works under Linux to FreeBSD. Even if you used real Linux-isms like details
about proc, kernel modules, or something like that, you'd have to have a way
to do those things on other OSes. Odds are one of those methods would work
with minimal fuss under FreeBSD.

	The only issues I see are those related to stocking another product,
supporting another platform, compiling more builds, and so on. I don't think
there are technical issues left.

(Thus, on to Jordan's post):

> 2. If they do a FreeBSD version, and to any reasonable standard of
>    "commercial correctness", they also have to deploy FreeBSD in
>    the development, QA and support organizations so that the FreeBSD
>    version can be developed, tested and, once shipping, supported in the
>    field.  I've had more than one ISV tell me, in response to my
>    assertion that a native FreeBSD version would not be hard for them
>    to do since FreeBSD is a pretty standard platform to port to and
>    all that, that porting is the LEAST of their worries.  It's having
>    to add yet another platform to their development, testing and
>    support structures that incurs the real expense in internal
>    training and hours invested.

> - Jordan

	If that's the issue, then nothing that you can do to FreeBSD technically
will make any difference. Emulator, no emulator, portable ABI, or not --
it's purely a matter of whether there's enough people who want to run
FreeBSD to justify the expense. If that's the major problem, then the
solution is popularity and noise.

	The company I work for currently maintains _three_ FreeBSD builds of our
products, one for FreeBSD2, one for FreeBSD3, one one for FreeBSD4. We're
about to drop the FreeBSD2 build because it stopped working. That means we
have to build and test two or three more versions before each release.

	DS