Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 19:35:59 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <sab@seanet.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating p5-* ports for perl-5.005_01

asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami) wrote:

>  * > Eek.  Maybe you can add a "/bin/rm -rf /usr/libdata/perl5/5.005" in
>  * > the install rule when you upgrade to 5.006. :)
>  *
>  * Can do.
>
> I wasn't actually serious.  But if you want to do that, then you don't
> need the version number.

But wouldn't you need something similar if you got rid of the version number
directory?  If /usr/src is upgraded to 5.006 and you've got 5.005 installed,
you should probably be getting rid of the old 5.005 stuff anyways...and the
5.006 Makefile isn't likely to know specifically which files are old and
which are new...end result - intermixed old & new stuff in the same directory.
At least with the version directories, you can completely get rid of the old
version-specific stuff.  I think...maybe...unless I missed the point
somewhere...:-))

Scott Blachowicz
sab@seanet.com