Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:26:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Valentino Crimi <tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org, paul@originative.co.uk
Subject:   Re: New bootblocks

Excerpts from FreeBSD-Alpha: 15-Mar-99 New bootblocks by
paul@originative.co.uk
> halt code = 2
> kernel stack not valid halt
> PC = 184ec

  I had this same problem, too, making it worse was that I had played
around with my boot.conf and guess what, unload was halting (in the
older bootblocks, wasn't this recently fixed?)

  One good replacement to fixit disks I found was that the emergecy
shell, while lacking ls (use echo *) did have ifconfig, ppp and
mount_nfs if you happen to have a machine nearby to stick an alpha dist
on for binaries.  The way I got my machine to boot doens't seem like
more than luck (replaced bootblocks and booted of an old kernel).  Just
wanted to share the fixit trick for all who may come to need it.