Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 1996 20:19:10 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        wjjr@sapphire (John J. Rushford), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 AU on 2.1.5

At 05:43 PM 12/04/96 -0700, John J. Rushford wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've got a pentium equiped as follows and I cannot load FreeBSD 2.1.5,
>apparently the Adaptec 2940AU is not recognized so my CDROM is not
>found.  I thought the 2940 was supported?  Any ideas on what I can
>do.  After downloading a new boot disk and driver update, I can
>successfully load Solaris 2.5.1 x86 but, I would prefer FreeBSD.
>Apparently even Solaris would not recognize the 2940AU.  Should I
>find a plain vanilla 2940?

I had the same problems... The AU is different from the regular A... If you
can, find a plain A version... It works like a champ with 2.1.5.  If you can
not get one, have a look at 2.1.6. It sort of works with this release,
however I had problems with it.  On initial boot, it had no problems
recognizing the controller and attached drives. However, after a "shutdown
-r now" the card would not load the BIOS into the drives and FreeBSD would
not boot :-(  It might  just have been my Fujitsu 4Gig however.

Adaptec was fairly helpful.  I called their 1-800#, went through the
problems with the tech guy and they said they would exchange the card for me
with a 2940UW which doest suffer from this problem.  However, I could not
wait for it to come, so I sent back the 2940U to my distributor and got a
vanilla 2940A.

        ---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)		* To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,   		* To be is to do  -- Sartre
Waterloo, Ontario			* Do be do be do  -- Sinatre
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)	*