Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 09:28:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, salyzyn@dpt.com
Subject:   Re: RAID on FreeBSD

On 21-Jan-98 Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> While I realize this is an old message, it's answers like this that make
> me glad I keep on buying DPT.
>
> I appreciate DPT's efforts in making their board work with just about
> everything.
>
> On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Mark Salyzyn wrote:

>> >Please note that dual RAID support (dpt based) is not available under
>> >FreeBSD(there are few other OS's which do support it), as per my
>> >information.. Can someone verify that..
>>
>> Software RAID is not available for the current driver by Simon.

Hi Mark!  This is true.  Time, simply no time.

>> However, we have supplied Simon sources to a RAID-0 subsystem that he
>> may add to the driver in the future.

Once we get the multi-initiator code to work, we will look at the in-kernel
RAID-0.

>> There is nothing preventing an OS RAID-0 from being set up, the
>> only disadvantages are that it is not integrated into the DPT management
>> solutions and you can not boot off of a dual level RAID device utilizing
>> the second level within an OS driver.

While I totally agree that an integrated solution is better, the ccd driver
in FreeBSD does a fine job for most.  The only thing it does not do is
allow you to boot from a RAID-0 conposed of several RAID-{1,5}.

And yes,  Unlike some other HBA manufacturers, DPT actually helps and
encourages use of its products in a non-M$ non-NDA environment.

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro
Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG                      Voice:   503.799.2313