Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:14:05 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        Sean McAfee <sean.mcafee@gmail.com>, spolyack@gmail.com, "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
Subject:   Re: sysinstall butchers amr(4) partitions RELENG_6.3 -> 8.0-R binary upgrade

http://digitalfreaks.org/~lavalamp/fbsd8_amr_sysinstall_butchered_partitions.jpg

>    So that means its time to DBAN the volume for 30 seconds
>    and/or re-init the RAID volume in the BIOS menu to nuke the
>    partition table, hence a force reformat during upgrade.
>
>    We wouldn't mind that if we were forcing everyone to use
>    GPT and ZFS as defaults, but since FreeBSD 8 really changes
>    nothing substantial this seems broken.

This is due to the GPART changes in that it is less forgiving about certain
partition layouts.  You can try bugging marcel@.  FWIW, just doing 'dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/amrd0 count=100' or so should have been enough to wipe
the partition tables that were confusing sysinstall.

--
John Baldwin