Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 22:21:21 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: desktop stupidity

At 10:16 PM 2/2/99 , Jason C. Wells wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>>    2. Those who simply want to be on the bandwagon because they
>>       think one scores major `1337n3ss' points by being a Linux or
>>       FreeBSD user or they've got a small ISP or porn site they
>>       just want to make work.  They also know little or no Unix.
>
>I never even considered that these types even existed around BSD-dom. I
>guess I have been sheltered.
>
>What is "1337n3ss"? Something"ness"?

That'd be leetness, which would be some term that teenage males use to
measure the amount of hair on their genetalia.

There are BSD fanatics like the Linux ones.  A little few and far between
since FreeBSD usually doesn't compile the latest and greatest of nukers and
spoofers and such..  This is a selling feature (that it doesn't), but also
it's a bad thing if you're looking at userbase.  Yeah you could say "Well
we have the Ritz Carlton of users, only the best", or you can say "We have
the most".

I guess it's really how badly you want users.  People using things for bad
application gets more media attention than good it seems.

...Everybody wants to be somebody...

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D