Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:33:37 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Mike Urban <murban@webzone.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD and Samba replace Netware?

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 09:28:37PM -0500, Mike Urban <murban@webzone.net> wrote:

> I am currently working with a situation in which I have a netware server
> that mostly just acts as a file server and a print server. It has
> several Windows 95 PC's connected to it that use it this way. We want to
> add intranet and email services to it, but there is no cheap way to do
> this with Netware. I have been considering the idea of completely
> getting rid of the Netware server and installing a FreeBSD server with
> Samba in it's place.

Better don't do it, that's my guess. Let the NetWare server do his work
and just add FreeBSD machine for email, althought I don't know what you
mean about intranet services. If you have firm plan to replace Netware
with FreeBSD, then better let the Netware server stay for some time so
you can play with samba and other tools you can need to replace
Netware. Do it in a smooth way, otherwise you can lose some services
for some time; if that doesn't matter then just do it :)

> Basically, I need the server to do the same thing it is doing now, but
> with the addition of intranet and email services. Is Samba and FreeBSD
> is viable solution?

Sure
--

Vallo Kallaste