Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 17:57:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Scheidt <rufus@brain.mics.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>, "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Actually, we have a vaccine.
> >
> > References?
> > Certainly, there isn't one in general use.
>
> My father took it before his trip to the Amazon with the
> University of Pennsylvania alumni association.  It made
> him sick as a dog for a good two weeks.

He took a malaria prophylatic, like Mefloquine or Malarone, not a
vaccine.  There's a big and important difference.  A vaccine would
provide lasting immunity from a small number of doses, a prophylactic
is only effective while it is being taken (or for shortly after).
Widespread use of malaria prophylactics have greatly increased the
instance of drug resistance in many parts of the world; a vaccine
wouldn't likely do that, though of course, new strains may appear that
aren't protected against, as is the case with the flu vaccine.

David