Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 10:24:26 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

In the last episode (May 24), Chuck Paterson said:
> The 386 processors do not support the locked exchange instruction.
> For these systems the locked exchange can be replaced with roughly a
> "cli, tst, cmp, branch, store, sti".
>
> 	The following are the obvious choices
>
> 	1. Make two separate builds.

Why not just make it conditional on the "cpu I386_CPU" line in the
kernel Makefile?  The comment already reads:

# deleting the specification for CPUs you don't need to use may make
# parts of the system run faster.  This is especially true removing
# I386_CPU.

Distribute GENERIC just like usual, and let the user remove I386_CPU
when he builds his own kerenl.

> I have talked to a couple of people who think that supporting this
> older stuff won't be important to FreeBSD by the time the kernel is
> preemptive. Some even thought supporting the original Pentium
> processors might not be required. I'll propose the following as it

I wouldn't go that far, unless you're thinking 3-4 years in the future?
There are a lot of overdrive and AMD CPUs out there that use the 486
instruction set.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com