Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:18:37 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>, Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari@agie.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-chat <freebsd-chat@hub.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux ?

On Tue, Feb 24, 1998 at 10:02:50AM -0500, Paul Griffith wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I run Linux on my PC since 1995 (if remember well...) and
> > now I'm planning to update my hardware. That's why I'm
> > trying to work out what free unix I should install on the
> > new system....
> >
> > Could anybody point out what are the pros and cons of:
> > FreeBSD and Linux derivates, please? Also, any link to URLs
> > about performance comparations of these UNIXes will be
> > appreciated greatly.
> > --
>
> Try the following:
>
> http://mosquitonet.stanford.edu/~laik/benchmarks/index.html

Be aware that the performance data for filesystem metadata (local
filesystem performance) there is based on Linux running async, and
FreeBSD running sync.  FreeBSD default to sync for safety reasons,
while Linux default to async (which is faster but not recoverable in
the case of a crash).

FreeBSD is presently in the process of integrating Kirk McKusick's
Soft Updates code, which will give the same (actually, sometimes
better) performance without removing safe recovery.

Also, Linux tend to default to other blocksizes than FreeBSD, which
can sometimes give better performance (at the cost of some space).

For a true comparison, the filesystems should be equally tuned.

Another point: Both FreeBSD's and Linux' networking performance has
been improved since those tests were run.

Eivind.