Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 1996 21:08:21 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        pst@shockwave.com (Paul Traina)
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need help with a PC CARD NE2000 clone...

Paul Traina stands accused of saying:
> I'm at IETF and I've just brought up -current on my laptop and am
> running into a bit of a jam.  pccardd is recognising my card and
> configuration, but then giving me an allocation error.

Are you using stock -current. or have you added the PAO patches over the top?

> Sigh.  2 days getting FreeBSD installed and now my brain is totally fried.
> Can you/anyone shed some light?
>
> My .conf files reads:
>
> card "PMX   " "PE-200"
> 	config	0x1 "ed0" 11
> 	ether	0xff0

Try removing the "ether" line if you are running stock -current.  This
tells the PAO code to look in the CIS for the hardware address, while
my modifications to the 'ed' driver dig it out from the normal
location hung off the 8390 as per the NE-2000.

> When I insert the card:
>
> Code 240 not found

I've never seen this message before.  Try paring your /etc/pccardd.conf
file right down to the bone, in case this is a syntax error there.

> I've set up ed0 and ed1 in my kernel config as follows (just in case the
> card wanted to be at fixed places or have fixed irq's):

As long as you have a message coming up after the 'ed0' signon saying
"pccard driver ed0 added", there's a free 'ed' device for the card probe to
attach to.

> 	Version = 4.1, Manuf = [PMX   ],card vers = [PE-200]

That's the only really critical bit at this point, and it looks OK.

You could also look at the ed_probe_pccard() function in
/sys/i386/isa/if_ed.c, and add a few quick debugging printfs to see
whether the NE2000 probe is being called and whether it is finding
the card.  Also check that the resources you advertise at the
top of /etc/pccardd.cond actually match those available
in your system.

Keep in touch 8)