Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 13:09:07 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG, archie@dellroad.org
Subject:   Re: m->m_pkthdr.header

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 09:16:06AM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> In article <200206071955.g57JtrJ65814@arch20m.dellroad.org>,
> Archie Cobbs  <archie@dellroad.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to get rid of this mbuf field "m->m_pkthdr.header".
> [...]
> > Any comments/objections?
>
> Yes, please bear in mind that if you change the layout of the mbuf
> structures you will probably break binary compatibility with various
> commercial network drivers that are shipped in binary form.  That's a
> big pain for those of us who are forced to use such drivers.  For that
> reason I don't think you should make this kind of change in -stable.
> Current is obviously a different kettle of fish, but even there you
> should add fillers to replace any structure elements you remove, if
> possible.

  While I agree that -STABLE is a more sensitive fish (which is partly
  why I really don't enjoy dealing with it -- this argument always comes
  up), I think that these types of changes absolutely need to go into
  -CURRENT.  We shouldn't have to worry about "breaking binary
  compatibility" in our development releases.  I can almost guarantee
  that a lot of stuff isn't going to work without a rebuild when people
  decide to go from 4.x to 5.0 anyway.  Placing dummy-fillers is just
  annoying.

--
Bosko Milekic
bmilekic@unixdaemons.com