Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:36:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Greg Quinlan <Greg.Quinlan@swlct.sthames.nhs.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba - Admin'

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Greg Quinlan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed that the entries for the "swat" utility have not been added
> to the /etc/services nor the /etc/inetd.conf.

	There are a LOT of things missing from /etc/services.

> Entries such as:
> in "/etc/services"
> -----------8<-------------
> accessbuilder   888/udp

	This is the IANA assigned number for this service, so this looks
good.

> swat            901/tcp                 # Samba - Admin

	IANA lists this as unassigned, therefore at best the port should
contain a script to patch your /etc/services file. Otherwise I would say
that it should continue to be something that you do yourself.

> telnets         992/tcp
> -----------8<-------------

	Same as accessbuilder above.

> & in "/etc/inetd.conf"
> -----------8<-------------
> #netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/smbd smbd
> #netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/sbin/nmbd nmbd
> # Samba - Admin
> #swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat
> -----------8<-------------
>
> I would like these entries to appear in an installed release, instead of
> having to add them every time. A small request .... but every little bit
> helps.

	There is already enough spammage in /etc/inetd.conf, so I'm not
sure how your request would be received. However, I don't have any say in
the matter so you're in luck. In any case, your request will get more
attention if it's sent in a PR with patches.

Good luck,

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' She said, 'you're too young a man
to have as many women you got.' I looked at my mother dear and didn't even

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"