Date:      Thu, 07 Feb 2002 11:33:47 -0500
From:      "James F. Hranicky" <jfh@cise.ufl.edu>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions (Rants?) About IPSEC

After reading up on IPSEC, I have one major question: Is it really
a good protocol?

It may be that I don't understand it well enough, or that the
implementations I've looked at are lacking in features that I want,
but it seems to me that it simply isn't a good solution for anything
more than a small number of users. Here are the problems I have with
IPSEC:

	- IPSEC routers don't seem to be able to advertise routes
	  for an arbitrary number of networks behind them

	- IPSEC routers have to basically be the border router for
	  a site, as there is no post-decryption NAT protocol to
	  get packets back to a router on the inside of the network
	  (Apparently, Cisco VPN boxes have this capability, but
	  it's an add-on to IPSEC AFAICT).

	- Clients with dynamic IPs are poorly supported.

	  AFAICT, what I want is to be able to issuce x509 certs to
	  any of my remote users for key exchange, and accept any
	  cert from any client that was signed by my CA. That's what
	  PKI is all about, right? Checking the racoon.conf man pages
	  and sample racoon.conf files shows that I need to have the
	  client's *private* key for a *specific* IP address.

	    o Is this really the case, or am I just wrong here?

	    o Isn't requiring the server to have the private cert
	      key the same as having a shared secret?

	    o If I'm not wrong, and cert's private keys are required per
	      IP address, is there some problem with the scheme I detailed
	      above? As a comparison, isn't the whole point of the
	      ssh_known_hosts file to keep only the public keys on the
	      remote server? I mean, wouldn't it be great if ssh supported
	      x509 certs, obviating the need for even the ssh_known_hosts
	      file, as host keys would be signed by the CA?

	      Isn't this what we want for IPSEC???

In the end, if I go with a FreeBSD racoon or isakmpd solution, am I limited
to the following setups ? :

	- One shared secret for all my users in the interest of manageability.

	  I can only assume this means any user could theoretically listen in
	  on the key exchange and thus be able to decrypt another's IPSEC
	  communications

	- Different shared secrets for all users/client machines.

	  Key management nightmare.

	- Different x509 certs for all users/client machines.

	  See above.

	- GSSAPI Auth .

	  Does this even work? Does it work with w2k clients and an MIT
	  KDC?  If it does, this would probably do what I need for any w2k
	  boxes out there, but all the info I read said it didn't work
	  with w2k yet. Never mind any other IPSEC client software.

Is there another VPN solution (mpd-netgraph+PPTP) that would suit my needs
any better?

Any enlightenment I can receive that can convince me IPSEC is anything
more than an alpha-quality protocol that requires vendors (a la Cisco)
to fix it would be most appreciated. It's entirely possible I have
no idea what I'm talking about.