Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 1996 11:27:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Rich Bornhofer <samurai@iosys.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp to dos partition didn't work well.

On Sun, 4 Aug 1996, Rich Bornhofer wrote:

>    I have recently been having troubles trying to do the FTP install to
> my system. I have tried every thing i can think of, and my modem doesn't
> seem to want to work under com2 (com3 and com4 work, but com2 just won't
> go..) So.. I opted for zipping up half of my C: drive to make room for a
> dos partion install, FTPed the bin, doc, info, xfree86 stuff i wanted,
> etc.. to my dos drive.. under c:\freebsd\<each from freebsd.org>. I am
> guessing that i have the files in the right place, as when i start the
> actual install, it starts reading files and building the file structure.

You should read INSTALL.TXT for the proper setup.

It should look like:

C:\FREEBSD \bin -> bin.aa, bin.ab, ....
           \doc -> doc.aa, doc.ab...
           \manpages -> manpages.aa ...

> The problem is, in bin and doc, i get invalid header: checksum error and
> then it says (via alt+f2) /stand/cpio: cannot remove current: Is a
> directory errors.. The system keeps asking me if i would like to try
> again, with the same results.

SOunds like you didn't download the images in BINARY mode, or you are
attempting to install over a failed install, in which you should delete
that slice and try again.

I also noticed that the transfer rate
> quickly dropped from 200+K/s to 15K/s.. is that from the decompressing
> of the .tgz files? (as i would hope).

Yes.

> Anyway, the question is, if i am
> ftping the files from freebsd.org why am i getting checksum errors for
> most of the bin dist, and plenty of the doc dist? And more importantly,
> how can i get 'clean' coppies?

Again, you may have downloaded the archives in ASCII mode.