Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 17:48:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Adrian Chew <adrchew@pop.jaring.my>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: After Install Questions...

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Adrian Chew wrote:

> So far I've recompiled the kernel so my IDE CDROM is now
> functioning, but I can't get the PS/2 mouse to work, it doesn't
> detect it...  at bootup it doesn't find it at 0x60, in the config for
> rebuild I set...
>
> device   psm0   at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq12 vector
> psmintr
>
> Tried with & without options PSM_NO_RESET
>
> PS/2 port is on an MP054 Pentium MB at IRQ12.

there is a buglet in the psm0 code.  Check the FAQ; I think the fix is there.

> I have problems with XFree86 too, after running XF86Config,
> and trying startx, I get the following error...
>
> TRANS (SocketUNIXConnect) () can't connect: error = 2
> (6 lines of it)
> TRANS (SocketCreateListener): TRANS(Socket Create Listener) () failed
> TRANS (MakeAllCOTSServerListeners) failed to create listener for tcp
>
> Fatal server error:
> Failed to establish all listening sockets
> giving up.
> xinit: Interrupted system call (errno 4): unable to connect to X
> Server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Wow.  All I can say is there looks like a permissions problem somewhere.
Maybe the mouse device is set improperly?  It defaulst ot /dev/mouse
which normally doesn't exist.

> One more question...  how do you configure root user to start
> with bash instead of csh?  I get csh, its irritating, have to set
> stty erase ^h.  Also root path probably isn't set correctly?  It
> couldn't do startx (no such file or directory).

If you don't like stty'ing all the time, put it in .login or .cshrc.

You can change root's (and anyone's) shell in vipw.  Just edit the
'/bin/csh'to be '/usr/local/bin/bash'.  Note that you will get yelled at
if /usr is unmounted for some reason.  I would leave root on csh, just to
be sure you can run it.