Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 2009 20:37:30 -0700
From:      Norbert Papke <npapke@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple instances of MySQL

On April 6, 2009, DAve wrote:
> Has anyone setup two instances of MySQL on the same server? One running
> just a client's DBs? Any advice would be helpful.

It's just a matter of making sure that the two instances don't share any ports
or files.  It works well.  You'll have to create a custom my.cnf file and
start-up script for your second instance.

More info:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/multiple-servers.html

Remember to specify the alternate port when using programs such as 'mysql'
command line client.

Cheers,

-- Norbert Papke.
   npapke@acm.org