Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:49:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

> On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 10:01:17PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > I think putting in tcsh as csh would be putting FreeBSD in the
> > same position of having a shell where script authors think they
> > are using features which are available everywhere, but are
> > specific to the "enhanced" shell
>
> Tcsh buys us *INTERACTIVE* enhancements, not scripting ones.

It buys us different code that used to be running.

Different code is bad, for something as critical as a shell
scripting language.

Look at the bash-isms that keep creeping into configure scripts,
making them only work on systems where /bin/sh is bash.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.