Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 2014 04:14:16 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        ajtiM <lumiwa@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: a big mistake-deleted etc

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:56:31 -0500, ajtiM wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a big problem.
> I did accidental deleted /etc… and I cannot start a system.
> Is it a way that I get /etc back without lost everything, please?

Usually not. Files deleted from UFS are typically gone.
You can try to use a tool like photorec (install the
"testdisk" port) to try to get the _data_ back, but
the file names will be lost.

Another option is to boot from a USB or CD live system
and to to /usr/src/etc and run "make install". This
should install the required files into /etc, but you'll
have to manually adjust some of them, most importantly
the /etc/fstab file, but also probably the passwd user
databases (both text and binary).

If you're like me, you could have a CVS repository with
your changes to /etc where you can checkout the lasted
versions of modified files. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany