Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 17:26:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, seki@sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: errormessages

> > The big win here is internationalization of manuals instead of error
> > messages.
> >
> > This actually makes a lot of sense for encapsulated messages (like
> > sendmail).
> >
> > I've actually been thinking that it's about time someone built an RFC
> > for message formats for log messages.  I was thinking "STARTED", "READY",
> > "SHUTDOWN", "STOPPED" would be a good start.
> >
> > Consider the case where you are trying to track a sendmail problem, and
> > you don't have notification of "stop", only of "start" and "event".
>
> There was a universal logging BOF at December IETF -- I'm not sure what
> conclusions were reached as I was at the security area session.  :)  I am
> sure that internationalization was a big issue, was was security, etc.
> There's probably a web page somewhere with the minutes, I would guess.

Thanks; I'm going looking now.  The main thing I was concerned with
was that there is only implicit startup or shutdown or availability
information.  I wanted keywords (probably encoded as an 8 bit manifest
constant, actually) so that I could have agent-based log monitoring.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.