Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 12:55:37 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New drivers and install floppy space

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:
>  The way that bootable CDROMs work is that the BIOS pretends that a
>1.44MB region at the beginning of the CDROM is actually a 1.44MB floppy
>disk.

I tend to support Mike's views on this stupidity.

>The only ways out of this are:
>
> - mandate a floppy in addition to the CDROM (sucks)
> - add CDROM drivers to the bootloader (ATAPI, SCSI for Adaptec and NCR
>   at least)

Some additional ideas:
- put a `mini-kernel' into the CD-ROM boot area.  This kernel would
  really be just a protected-mode bootloader - it has all the CD-ROM
  drivers and minimal support code to be able to read the real kernel
  out of the ISO-9660 filesystem.  (The reason for making it PM is
  to let it re-use the existing kernel code, rather than needing a
  2nd set of CD-ROM drivers).
- A 3.0-RELEASE kernel.GENERIC is nearly 1.9MB - far too large for
  a floppy, even stripped it's 1.6MB (and will only get larger as
  time goes by).  If it's stripped and gzip'd, it's only 850KB (but
  a copy of gunzip will boost this somewhat).  Why not just put a
  compressed kernel into the boot area?  It doesn't need to include
  the /stand/* functions because they can be read out of the CD-ROM.
  Similarly, a normal kernel.GENERIC can be installed from the CD-ROM.

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Alcatel Australia Limited