Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:54:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      stuart nichols <unstable@stac.state.tx.us>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Boot floppy partitioning bug.

Today's (2001-Aug-28) -STABLE, booting from
the floppies for a network install:

Custom install, select Partition.  Spacebar
on one drive and press A for All.  Quit.
Take default BootMgr, Enter.

Arrow down to next drive, spacebar, press A,
Quit.  Select default boot manager, Enter.
Back to drive select menu.  So far so good.

Pressing Enter at this point does not return
you back to the Custom Installation menu.
It de-selects or re-selects the drive that is
currently high-lighted, just like pressing
the spacebar.

If you first arrow over to Cancel, then back
to OK, however, then pressing Enter gives the
expected return to the Custom Installation
menu.

I tried this several times, and verified that
if you arrow over to Cancel first, then back
to OK after setting the drive partitions, it
will work properly, otherwise you are in a
loop of some sort.

There was a perhaps-related problem in the
Aug-24 -STABLE boot floppies where pressing
Enter after setting the partitions sent me
back up to the Custom Installation menu, but
also removed the currently-highlight drive
(as if spacebar, then Enter, had been pressed).
I only tried this once, so I don't know how
repeatable it was.  I had those floppies
laying on the desk this morning, saw that
problem as I was testing a machine, then over-
wrote them with today's boot floppies when
I was getting ready to actually build the
machine.

--

stu
unstable@stac.state.tx.us

Office: (512) 463-7601
FAX:    (512) 475-4759

stuart nichols
State Technology Assessment Center
Texas Department of Information Resources
300 West 15th Street
Austin  TX  78744