Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 08:55:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: small install

Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com> wrote:
 > If you're doing IPSec or PPTP or any VPN you may want OpenSSL,

Not necessarily.

 > since it's the source of the crypto libs, and hardware support
 > for the vpn card is available via Sam Leffler's OpenBSD /dev/crypto

Work has been done to port that to FreeBSD as well.
From the latest status report:

<quote>
   Import of this work into the -current tree has started.
   A publicly available patch against 4.7 will be released
   once 4.7 ships.  Integration of this work into the
   -stable source tree is planned for 4.8.
</quote>

 > I question whether you'd want any compiler at all on a firewall...

Depends.  From a security point of view, I think it doesn't
matter (some people have a different opinion, so YMMV).
But it can save quite a lot of space, so it can be a good
idea if you're tight.

On my own embedded system (not a firewall, though) I have
removed the compiler toolchain, all static libraries, perl
and a few other things that weren't needed.  All of that
for space reasons, because the machine boots from a 48 MB
compactflash card.  I got the size of the system down to
32 MB, even though I installed quite a few "convenience"
tools (a non-standard editor, my favourite shell [zsh],
lsof, strace, cpdup and a bunch of other must-have tools,
as well as OSS which accounts for another 3 MB).

Here's a "du -k" of mine, for comparison:
http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/cantaro/du-k.txt

Regards
   Oliver