Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 00:27:21 +0200
From:      furio ercolessi <furio@spin.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot start softupdates, why?

Hi all,

I am trying to enable softupdates on my /var partition, but
I am having difficulties  (I am a FreeBSD newbie migrating
from Linux exactly to improve filesystem performance; please
bear with me).

I did "ln -s ../../contrib/softupdates/*.[ch] ."  in /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs.
I put "options SOFTUPDATES" in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/<NAME>.
I make-installed the custom kernel.
I rebooted, went single user, unmounted my /var partition and did
   # tunefs -n enable /dev/da0s1e
   tunefs: soft updates set
   # tunefs -p /dev/da0s1e
   tunefs: soft updates:  (-n)                                enabled
     [...more output...]
   # mount /dev/da0s1e /var
   # mount
     [...]
   /dev/da0s1e on /var (ufs, local, writes: sync 2 async 0)

Now I understand that at this point softupdates should appear
in the list within (...).  And this is not just a failure of mount
to show it: I ran performance tests without seeing any difference
between "enabled" and "disabled".
I must have forgotten to do something.  Thanks for any clue...
(I am on 3.4-RELEASE on a vulgar i586 platform).

furio ercolessi
Spin