Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:46:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        greeves <sysadmin@mfn.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Is there any "race condition" in FFS?

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, greeves wrote:

>OK, now you've got me nervous!  Here I am about to begin turning mail
>services here over to FBSD and Popper et al. (from NT with IMS - a really
>great mail server whose mail flaw is running on NT ;-)  and you send me
>word of th "David Rivers Daily Memorial Panic"???
>
>Is this phenomenon associated with any particular set of conditions
>which I can avoid?  This is *very* serious from my perspective: let's
>face it Email is the *one* thing that will fire up an otherwise brain-dead
>user to action!  I certainly don't need 5000 daily complaints from angry
>users and frustrated bosses :)

Let me restate that for you. "Email is the *one* thing that will fire up
an otherwise brain-dead user to action!"

This is one reported email message from one user about one problem of a
machine of unknown configuration and administration about a problem which
has shown up, but hasn't been tracked down yet. Don't get too "fired-up".

>Should I be sticking with our NT mail servers for now?

If you really want to puke your guts out with nervousness then you can
read the entire GNATS database. All bugs great and small are in there.

Perhaps you would like to compare the FreeBSD freely distributed GNATS
database with the one that M$ allows everyone to read? I wonder how many
unimplemented calls still exist in the TCP/IP stack that M$ won't bother
to fix until Bugtraq tells all the script baby crackers where to strike
for a denial of service.

I guess some people might be more comfortable taking a weapon of unknown
shortcomings into battle than one that they know has a glitch. I love the
fact the FreeBSD is open regarding the problems it has.

My point is this. Don't let one exuberantly stated bug sway you from
choosing a very good product. If there is a certifiable bug, the FreeBSD
project will tell you what it is and how to fix it. M$ will let it slide
for while and then make you pay for the fix in the next upgrade.

The busiest FTP site on the net runs FreeBSD.

An overloaded FreeBSD server in a saltwater bath is more stable than NT
running in a vacuum with no users. Don't be nervous. Be confident that
FreeBSD is the _best_ platform for providing internet services.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/