Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:07:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        AG <ag@ipfw.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keyboard not found

AG wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded to a FIC SD11 Motherboard and an Athlon
> chip. Everything went smoothly, and my FreeBSD OS continued to work
> perfectly. Unfortunately, I ran into problems with my disk drives, and am
> forced to reinstall the OS. However, when I put in the 4.0 boot disks and
> reboot, it does not recognize my keyboard. It was recognized fine on the
> old 4.0 install. It's a PS/2 keyboard, and I didn't see any conflicts in
> the dmesg when the old 4.0 install was present. This confused me, and I
> decided to see what 3.4 boot disks did. Same thing, it won't recognize my
> keyboard.

Perhaps your keyboard or keyboard interface is not so good?  Things CAN
get damaged to the point of being tempermental like this.  Try a different
keyboard, verify that it works by booting into a different OS (or at least
stepping around in your BIOS config a bit), and if all of that fails,
perhaps you have a damaged/marginally incompatible chipset.

A hard power cycle with the keyboard plugged in is sometimes a good way to
reset the firmware in the keyboard if it becomes mangled for some reason.
People (myself included) have had occasional problems under 4.0 with
keyboards "failing" for no apparent reason.

> Also, it gets to a BTX Loader line, and then freezes up. Does
> anyone have any clue to what is going on?

It's not freezing up.. It couldn't find a keyboard, so it assumes a serial
console is attached. All IO is then sent through serial, and not to the
local console.

> Any response will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> AG

Virtually yours,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2