Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 09:28:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        green@unixhelp.org (Brian Feldman), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crash dump howto?

:
:I have sources from 2 days ago.  I have version 1.74 of vfs_cluster.c
:which is alleged to have fixed the problem.  It doesn't.  My sources
:are cvsup'd from cvsup.freebsd.org.
:
:I can kill the system under heavy load with either and ELF or aout kernel.
:
:I can not get the system to produce a crash dump.
:
:So, the question remains how does one force a dump?
:
:--
:Steve

    This is what we do:

options         DDB
options         COMCONSOLE              # serial console vs normal console
options         BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER       #a BREAK on a comconsole goes to
                                        #DDB, if available.

    And in /etc/rc.conf.local:

dumpdev="/dev/sd0b"

    Make sure the dump device (typically primary swap) is at least as large
    as your main memory or the system will not be able to dump.

    If the system farts, it will break into the debugger on the
    serial console (make sure whatever you connect to the serial console is
    itself secure!).  From the ddb> prompt you can usually 'panic'.  Sometimes
    it takes a 'panic' followed by an extra return, but be careful not to
    interrupt the dump in-progress because a return will also abort that.

    The debug monitor can also be used to do a simple stack backtrace, ps,
    and a few other things before you panic the machine.  This can be useful
    if the dump fails to work.

    Also make sure you are using a reasonably standardized /etc/rc that
    properly savecore's the dumps, and that /var/crash is big enough to hold
    the writeout (a bit more then the main memory size in free space must
    be available).

						-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)