Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 22:37:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: VM answer requested

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> What about the aligned access bit in recent Intel processors?
>
> I'd like to be able to turn on the bit so that I get a fault (and it
> kills the offending process) when an unaligned access occurs.

Adding support for this should be fairly simple.  I wonder why you
didn't simply implement it yourself and faced us with a comparision of
the results. :-)

If i got it right, it requires a little magic inside machdep.c
(depending on the detected CPU type), and another case label in
trap.c.

However, i don't think you can _force_ the AC flag, even not for a
user program.  Modifying the flag is IMHO not a privileged
instruction, hence any user program can revert it.

> I'd also like to get kernel faults if this happens in the kernel

According to my 486 docs, this is impossible.  The AC flag is only
honored in `ring 3' mode.

--
cheers, J"org