Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 1996 12:20:24 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rolands@nucleus.com (Roland Schoettle)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCNFS on FreeBSD

(Am I the only one that's sick of reformatting peoples' questions so that I
 can read them?)

Roland Schoettle stands accused of saying:

> To provide NFS services from our Windows NT systems we have
> purchased InterDriveNT from FTP software. The InterDrive client
> connects fine to our SCO UNIX system, but refuses to connect to the
> FreeBSD system - giving an "incorrect password" error.

This is the generic "no I don't want to talk to you" error.  Make sure
that you're exporting the filesystems OK - in particular, if you've
modified /etc/exports, you have to restart mountd.

> We are using mountd -n and have the pcnfsd daemon running. The
> exports file is as follows:

> /  -alldirs  nts1 medusa  # medusa is the Win NT system

That's a really _really_ bad idea.  Note that it only exports the root
filesystem, not any other filesystem mounted under it.

Never _ever_ export your root filesystem.

Also, it's a bit late now I guess, but if you'd come here earlier we would
have told you not to use NFS to talk to the NT system.  Grab the 'samba'
package out of the ports collection and use that to serve your NT
clients.  No need for client-side software, and performance is somewhat
better as well.

> The system is running with an SMC Ethernet adapter which works fine and
> automounts a file system from the SCO UNIX system. (We could not get a
> DEC 10/100 Adapter to work even though it is listed as a supported adapter).

Odd.

> We have also had little success getting X-Windows to run
> properly. It comes up with a graphics screen and a mouse pointer but
> is otherwise blank)

Er.  Let me guess, you typed "X".  Type putting :

if [ -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm ]; then
	/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
fi

in /etc/rc.local.  If you're on a vty just type "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm" as
root, no need to reboot.