Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:37:24 -0600
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, wjjr@alisa.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 AU on 2.1.5

> I've got a pentium equiped as follows and I cannot load FreeBSD 2.1.5,
> apparently the Adaptec 2940AU is not recognized so my CDROM is not
> found.  I thought the 2940 was supported?  Any ideas on what I can
> do.  After downloading a new boot disk and driver update, I can
> successfully load Solaris 2.5.1 x86 but, I would prefer FreeBSD.
> Apparently even Solaris would not recognize the 2940AU.  Should I
> find a plain vanilla 2940?

Use FreeBSD 2.1.6.  The 2940AU was a more recent release from Adaptec
and wasn't around when 2.1.5 was rolled.  Note that it is not quite
the same animal as a 2940U - the 2940U has a hardware command queue of
16, while the 2940AU has a queue of 3.

FreeBSD 2.1.6 was just released and is available for ftp from ftp.cdrom.com.
I haven't got my (subscription) CD yet, but it should e out really
soon.

> BTW, I really like FreeBSD.  You all have done a great job.

Yes, me too.  They have done a terrific job!

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org