Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 22:57:12 EST
From:      PPLSInc1 <PPLSInc1@aol.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation Problem

I'm an experienced linux user, and I've been able to solve most problems I've
run across while using slackware and redhat, but freebsd has me stumped.  I've
got an older mitsumi drive, so I'm trying to install freebsd from a dos
partition.  I used xcopy32 d: c:\freebsd /s   to copy the entire cd to the
HDD, and then ran the install.bat to boot.  Then I fiddled with the kernel
config until I had no conflicts, even though that meant I couldn't use my ps/2
mouse because of console commander or whatever that thing is under input (I
disabled it and enabled my ps2 mouse, and the machine froze and just clicked
for 3 hours!!!).  Then I went through novice installation, discovering too
late that a freebsd type 165 partition couldn't be very much more than 500MB's
although I'd prefer a 100% freebsd box, and had to format, re-install DOS, and
make the attempt again, using fips to restrict my freebsd parition to 498.4MB.
When I setup my /usr, /var, and / partitions, everything was fine, and when I
selected my installation media as a dos paritition everything was fine...but
when I tried to install the packages, it couldn't find anything and complained
about packages/INDEX, which I couldn't find anywhere on the CD.  What's up?

BTW, my cd is from UNIX Unleashed, Sysadmin's Edition from Sams Publishing...I
planned to try freebsd and if I liked it, drop slackware and buy a real
freebsd cd.