Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:17:31 +0200
From:      Thomas Spreng <spreng@socket.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backup static routes for freebsd (default)

hi,

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:52:54PM -0700, Ezra Banoba wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a gatway box running freebsd 4.8 and several links to the internet
> via different ISP's.
> This box is connected directly to one of the ISP's but also has access to
> the other gatways via the LAN.
> I would like to setup static backup (default) routes such that when and if
> the main link goes down, the default route for this box is automatically
> changed to point to another router on the LAN.I am having trouble
> implementing this on freebsd.
> Any ideas?

you might want to take a look at the ng_one2many(4) manpage. It is a
module for the netgraph(4) subsystem which allows routing over several
links.
If you want a really cheap & dirty solution, you could simply write a
script that checks if the main gateway is down and then changes the
default route to your backup router.

hope that helps...