Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:35:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        FUJISHIMA Satsuki <k5@cheerful.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB16: recording 8 bit ok, 16 bit recording just gives noise

FUJISHIMA Satsuki writes:
> At Mon, 18 Sep 2000 00:52:39 +0200,
> Georg-W. Koltermann <gwk@sgi.com> wrote:
> > Playing sounds and recording 8 bit sounds works ok.  If I try to record
> > 16 bit sounds, I just get noise. Does anybody know this behaviour?
> Same here. My Sound Blaster AWE64 just makes noise for 16bit recording
> or panics sometimes. Of course this card records correctly under other
> OS, i.e. FreeBSD 2.2.8, 3.5, OpenBSD, NetBSD and Windows 98.

FreeBSD 3.5 using the snd driver, or the pcm driver?

> I suspect newpcm is broken for this card.

Well, I've tried three different cards trying to find one that newpcm
will record on correctly. An ISA SB, an Ensonic AudioPCI and a Trident
4DWave. The pcm man page says they are all supported, with no mention
of any problems. Only one of them can be used to record things usably,
and even that drops ~200K of data at regular intervals, creating very
noticable dropouts.

So I agree with you.

	<mike