Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 06:54:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brian@awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, brian@awfulhak.org, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: un-neccessary DNS lookups (was Re: Divert sockets..)

> > This should be *irrelevant*.  The only purpose order on a line in
> > the hosts file should have is determining which entry is reported
> > as the cannoical name to things that display cannonical names.
> >
> > Like "w".
>
> Hmm, 'w' or 'who' should be smart enough to chop off the domain bit
> if it's the same as hostname's.  netstat does this.

Well, I suppose I could burn the CPU cycles on that instead of
having the machine do real work... 8-(.  Just seems wasteful
and annoying.  Maybe if the lookup routines did it for me,
since they are already grovelling the strings to hell and back...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.