Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 23:02:36 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, rjoseph@nwlink.com
Subject:   Re: can't make certain ports

On 1/17/00, 8:49:28 PM, Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu> wrote=20
regarding Re: can't make certain ports:

> Hi,

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> > One of the responders to your question said 'make clean' removes the=

> > old source.  I believe that this is incorrect.  It removes the old
> > OBJECT code, which of course is generated when the source is compile=
d.
> > When a port is updated, at least three things must happen for you to=

> > be able to use the new version.

> This is vague at best - make clean, in a port, removes everything in=20
the
> work directory and the work directory itself.  It does not touch=20
anything
> in /usr/ports/distfiles.

> > First, 'pkg_delete' or 'make deinstall'.  It would seem to me that
> > once you have cvsupped, the PKG list may have changed for the new
> > version of the port, so a 'pkg_delete' would be more likely to remov=
> > every vestige of the old package.

> The package listing in /var/db/pkg holds the old packing list.  You=20
can
> have an updated version of a particular port, but the package registry=

> maintains the packing list for the version you installed.

> > Second, 'make', possibly preceded by a 'make clean' just to be safe,=

> > if you like.  This fetches and compiles the source, of course, and
> > produces the binaries and man pages.

> If you have no work directory, make clean is just holding you up.  :-)=

> > I think one potential area of confusion is this:  Again, IF I
> > UNDERSTAND THIS CORRECTLY (and i think i do ;-) 'make deinstall' cal=
ls
> > pkg_delete, but if the makefile has been changed by a recent cvsup,
> > there is always the possibility this may not work correctly, althoug=
> > it SHOULD.  I generally use pkg_delete just to be safe.

> Nope - as noted above - make deinstall calls pkg_delete which reads=20
off
> its OWN original packing list, not what's in
> /usr/ports/some_dir/some_port/pkg/PLIST.

> Brett
> Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
> Dept of Chem and Physics                          *
> Curie 39A     (540) 831-6147                      *
> Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics               *
> Walker 234    (540) 831-5410                      *

Dear Brett Taylor,

thank you very much for clarifying.

When I said "make clean deletes source code" I meant exactly what you=20
indicated: the .../work subdirectory (or subtree) stuff.

I apologize for not being accurate.

I should probably have written "source-related code at large" e.g.=20
such files as config.h, install.h, malloc.h, command.h command.c etc.;=20
which is what I thought of and what made me use an improper=20
expression. Specifically, I had in mind the content of the=20
...x11/kdebase11/work/... and subdirs stuff, as well as the gnome=20
related stuff (e.g. .../x11-fm/gnomemc/work/... and subdirs stuff.

That this was the case should have been clear from what followed -- I=20
hope.=20

I expressly indicated that the *old* tarballs (containing the=20
compressed source code) might have interfered (bug ?) with the=20
metaport mechanism; that is, they might have cheated it into believing=20
that they were the *new* ones.

That is why "make clean" should have been followed by "renaming" (or=20
even deleting) the old tarballs.

The KDE metaport has caused R.J. Wright some problems. Since I had=20
(paranoidly) taken *two* snapshots of the entire ports collection, for=20
testing purposes, at two different times, and I had succeeded in=20
making KDE-1.1.2, I was trying to understand what went wrong for=20
Joseph.  =20

Also, a few people think that "make deinstall" and pkg_delete perform=20
the same identical action whereas they are NOT exactly synonymous.=20
Thank you for drawing attention to this misleading delicate point once=20
again. =20

I hope not to be flamed for my inaccuracy ... and I hope that this=20
reply does not contain additional lapsus calami (or even some weird=20
error !!), either :-)))

Best regards,
Salvo

Please note: nojunk.com =3D=3D=3D> neomedia.it to e-mail to me.