Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 00:50:43 +1030
From:      Leigh Hart <hart@at.dotat.com>
To:        Matt Baker <matt@portal.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail stats?

Hi Matt,

Followups to freebsd-isp, this isn't really -hackers material.

Matt Baker <matt@portal.net.au> wrote:

> I'm looking around for a some good stats summary scripts
> for a large mail site using sendmail 8.9.1

Aren't we all :)

> So far either I can find scripts to produce either not enough
> or too much.  ie, either they only tell me a total number of
> bytes transfered, or they try to tell me who got what.
>
> I'm more after bytes in out broken down into hours per day,
> or top ten users or something.  Something similar to the
> stats produced by a web server stats package would be great.
>
> Does anyone know if something like this exists?

http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.7 has a few links:

] Subject: Q4.7 -- How can I summarize the statistics generated
]                  by sendmail in the syslog?
]
] Date: April 9, 1997
]
] This question is addressed on pages 445-449 of _sendmail,
] 2nd Ed_ (see page 319 of first edition) by Bryan Costales
] (see entry sendmail-faq//book/ISBN/1-56592-222-0 in Q6.1).
]
] An updated version of this syslog-stat.pl script (so that
] it understands the log format used in version 8 sendmail)
] is at ftp://ftp.his.com/pub/brad/sendmail/syslog_stats.
]
] The updated version of ssl has been uploaded to the SMTP
] Resources Directory (in ftp://ftp.is.co.za/networking/mail/tools/),
] as well as ftp://ftp.his.com/pub/brad/sendmail/ssl. There is
] also another program (written by Bryan Beecher) at
] ftp://ftp.his.com/pub/brad/sendmail/smtpstats.
]
] If you're interested in summarizing POP statistics, there is
] ftp://ftp.his.com/pub/brad/sendmail/popstats, also written by
] Bryan Beecher.
]
] To see what else is available today, check the Comprehensive
] Perl Archive Network ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/CPAN
] or ftp://ftp.cis.ufl.edu/pub/perl/CPAN/CPAN for the site nearest
] you.  For the scripts themselves, look under CPAN/scripts/mailstuff/
] at any CPAN site.  For more information, see the comp.lang.perl.*
] FAQs at ftp://ftp.cis.ufl.edu:/pub/perl/faq/FAQ or
] ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/comp/lang/perl/.
]
] There is also the "Sendmail Statistics Project" which has a web
] page at http://www.josnet.se/projects/ssp/.  Although they have
] examples online of what the output might look like, it now appears
] that this project is either dead or at least indefinitely on hold.
] Still, you may be able to talk to the authors in order to get what
] code from them you can.
]
] If you're interested in using these kinds of tools to help you
] do some near real-time monitoring of your system, you might be
] interested in MEWS (Mail Early Warning System). From the README:
]
]         If you've ever written a perl script to parse sendmail
]         log files looking for errors, MEWS might be of interest to
]         you. If you've ever thought about writing a perl script to
]         munge sendmail log files, cringed a little and hurriedly
]         came up with an excuse not to do it, read on.
]
]         If you don't have a Solaris 2.5 machine, you can probably
]         stop reading here.
]
]         The Mail Early Warning System (MEWS) gives postmasters
]         immediate notification of trouble spots on your mail
]         backbone. It only works with sendmail.
]
]         To explain it in a nutshell, whenever sendmail returns a
]         4xx or 5xx SMTP code, with the MEWS modifications, it also
]         sends the code over UDP to a daemon which then replays the
]         error message to interested parties.  The man pages go into
]         a little bit more detail.
]
] If this sounds like something you might be interested in getting
] more details about, you can find the MEWS archive at
]
] ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/pub/people/eamonn/mews.tar.Z.

Cheers

Leigh
--
| "By the time they had diminished | Leigh Hart, <hart@dotat.com> |
|  from 50 to 8, the other dwarves | Dotat Communications Pty Ltd |