Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:13:33 -0400
From:      fbsd-isp@launchpad.win.net (Joe Mays - FreeBSD-ISP)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FrontPage Web Extensions

>Just upgrade your FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE, and everything will be okay. The
>problem is that the extensions are for BSDI 2.0, which isn't supported by
>FreeBSD 2.1R. Once you 'sup' 2.1-STABLE you'll be able to run them no
>probs. You may have to installed DES crypt routines (you don't need them,
>but it makes FrontPage work with BSD's password file..)

I'm running 2.1 stable, and I wasn't able to get them to install
for the cern web server.  It keeps wiping out at the point where it
tries to create the config file with the message to the effect that
"File:/usr/local/frontpage/" is an illegal path.  *Obviously* it's
an illegal path.  I got on the phone with the Microsoft Tech
Support person who handles the unix front page stuff, we went
through the installation together and the config files for the
cern web server, he agreed I was doing everything correctly, and
said he would look into the problem and call me back.  The next
day he called back and informed me that the extensions don't work
with FreeBSD 2.1 stable, although "just between you and me, I know
of one person that got them work by changing the kernel, but I
don't know what he did."

If anyone out here knows how to install them and get them to work
under 2.1 stable I would love to hear how you did it.