Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:14:25 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mtree invocation during 'make install'

Hi all,

I've just been racking my brain attempting to figure out why my custom
do-install rule in a port Makefile was issuing a mtree and creating a whole
bunch of useless directories into my choice of ${PREFIX}.  Now that I've
figured out that bsd.port.mk is doing this for me, I have to ask why??

I can see why this could be useful in some cases, but for me, so far it
seems to be worthless.  It's especially annoying when attempting to generate
pkg-plist by hand, which I used to be able to do by setting ${PREFIX} to an
empty directory and then after a 'make install PREFIX=/blech' anything under
'/blech' would have been installed by my port -- now I get all the cruft
from mtree as well.

I'm not saying that this behaviour should be disabled by default (yet), but
would entertain any explanations as to why this step is neccessary.

--
Matt Emmerton