Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 03:11:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <root@gits.dyndns.org>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Ronald Joe Record <rr@sco.com>, op-tech@openpackages.org
Subject:   Re: pkgtools

Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> I think this was discussed long ago, my posting with the same URL must
> be somewhere in the archives.

for instance, I got the URL from Terry Lambert in the (big) Moving
Things thread some days ago.

> Back then the license was not considered a show stopper, but no one
> got to port it because the functionality of those tools is very
> similar to the ones already in FreeBSD. I would like to see this

similar but not so powerfull. there is no file conflict checking,
no auditing tool, file size/owner/group/permission/etc. aren't
recorded anywhere, and more. and if we want to go in a modularized
base system, we need something enough powerfull to handle those
cases.

> simply because they are sort of a standard for UNIX and we don't claim
> to be non-UNIX.

of course, we are, aren't we ?

> In those days Ronald Record was also trying to free a bigger set of
> C++ tools. I have used the installer on SCO's Unixware and it's very
> nice, but that's IMHO. Packaging tools can be the root of another
> religious war.

what a pity if that happen (again?).

we have to take the best from other systems, even SYSV and don't
denigrate such tools because it came from SVR4 (or whatever).

> Unfortunately the 86open effort died miserably with a "Linux seems
> quite popular" comment after a long silence.

RIP

CC openpackages

Cyrille.
--