Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2013 18:05:34 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>, Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Starting the wpa_supplicant Daemon from rc.conf

On Dec 11, 2013, at 9:47 AM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> "Teske, Devin" wrote:
>> On Dec 10, 2013, at 1:56 PM, Martin McCormick wrote:
>>> We are using 802.1x on our wired network and the wpa_supplicant
>>> on this system works like it should to authenticate with the
>>> network if manually called as in=20
>>>=20
>>> sudo ./etc/testwpa which is the name I gave the script that
>>> calls wpa_supplicant and gives it the configuration file and
>>> interface information to authenticate.
>>>=20
>>> 	The only thing that is not yet working is getting
>>> wpa_supplicant to authenticate automatically upon reboot or
>>> startup. I presently have the following in /etc/rc.conf:
>>>=20
>>> #wpa_supplicant
>>> wpa_supplicant_enable=3D"YES"
>>> wpa_supplicant_program=3D"/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant"=09
>>> #executable
>>> wpa_supplicant_flags=3D"-B -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D wired -i le0"
>>>=20
>>=20
>> What you actually want is:
>>=20
>> ifconfig_le0=3D"<normal stuff> WPA"
>> # Don't worry, the WPA will be stripped out when talking to ifconfig(8)
>> # NB: WPA can appear anywhere in the ifconfig_* value
>=20
> Martin,
> I notice my rc.conf also has
> 	ifconfig_wlan0=3D"WPA"
> Sorry I didnt mention it earlier, I didn't notice it, & my WLAN config is=
=20
> a mess, a work in progress, (pending a new test net).
>=20
> I also noticed that le0 looks wrong for a 2nd reason:
> man le says your le is an ethernet device,=20
> my rc.conf has these snippets
>        wlans_urtwn0=3D"wlan0"
>        wlans_run0=3D"wlan0"
> # man urtwn & man run : ... wireless nets
> 	ifconfig_wlan0=3D"DHCP"
> 	ifconfig_wlan0=3D"WPA"
> 	wlandebug_wlan0=3D"scan+auth+assoc"       # /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> Though may be misleading, as said, work in progress.
>=20

Keep in mind though...

Martin is doing 802.1X over a wired connection. Your configuration appears
to be for 802.11 for wireless.

In /etc/network.subr, you can see the code that determines that
le0 is a wired connection and treats it differently. I do believe that addi=
ng the
"WPA" keyword to the ifconfig_le0 line is correct for an 802.1X wired conne=
ction.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.