Date:      Fri,  9 Jul 1999 21:55:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      huver@amgraf.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/12586: "Sane" or insane?  Get your act together.

>Number:         12586
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       "Sane" or insane?  Get your act together.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
sane: was broken since 3.1, broken in 3.2, still broken in -current!

  1. It was not built with a working GIMP on the build system, hence there
  is no "GIMP plugin" compiled in.  The "you can symlink xsanimage to
  GIMP plugin directory" note is crap.

  2, It was built with the wrong glib, xscanimage absolutely finds no
  SCSI scanner, whereas "camcontrol" clearly shows they are there.  The
  ports/Makefile has it right: it needs gtk/glib-1.2.2, why was the
  package built with -1.2.3?

xsane is the same way.
>How-To-Repeat:
Pull the package off CD or from packages ftp, install and see.
"sane" my foot, INSANE is more like it.
>Fix:
If you cannot test the packages you build, don't bother putting them
out on release.  Require whoever builds a package must sign off "tested"
before sending these "useless" packages out the door, and put that
person's name in the +COMMENTS!  This most basic QC concept that workers
around the world know quite well, you guys sure aren't showing any.

I had to spend 2 days pulling in glib/gtk etc. plus GIMP sources to
build them, so sane can be build properly: all because I had to
back glib/gtk down.

Before 2.2.8, I never had this sort of problem; since 2.2.8, I've had
to learn to read Spanish html docs, install packages that turn out
useless, and rebuild ibraries.

This irresponsible behavior must stop.