Date:      Tue, 9 Aug 2011 20:12:10 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   GPT boot blocks, booting and booteasy

Running FreeBSD 8-Stable of July 30 and I am trying to figure out a
bit about how GPT
works. I am unsure of what I can do with boot blocks.
000000000011111111112222222222333333333344444444445555555555666666666677
Here is what I've done so far. I have just created my first GPT
structured FreeBSD
system and it's all working fine, but I don't have any ability to
select booting from another
partition or drive. I boot the system and FreeBSD just boots with no
option to boot from
another disk.

I have /boot/pmbr loaded into the PMBR and gptboot into the
freebsd-boot partition. I'll
admit that I did this by rote and don't understand how these two files
interact with the
UEFI BIOS to get the loader started. I'm not really certain that I
even need both.

Is it possible to build a "custom" booteasy boot system with boot0cfg
or some other tool
so I can select d ifferent bootable partition or my other disk which
is sliced in the traditional
fashion? Can anyone point me to any information on how the boot
process works with GPT?

Thanks!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com